be a date night beauty

ladylike-laws-holiday-gift-giving-etiquette

source: Liz Von Hoene for Nordstroms

We’re going to talk about date looks, but trust me when I say we’re not going to talk about the whole “here are beauty looks guys like so do this” thing. I’m a firm believer in wearing and rocking what you like–trust me when I tell you the guy you like will love it either way.

We are, however, going to talk about not overdoing it on Valentine’s Day–or any other date night. It hurts my heart when I see otherwise gorgeous girls caking on the foundation and piling on the bronzer for a night out with their guy, only to find that the cute-in-the-movies head on the shoulder moment turns not so cute when your guy’s shirt becomes orange. This Valentine’s Day, opt for a little sumthin’ sumthin’ like this:

romantichair

Romantic, Retro Waves: These pretty curls are a step up from a normal straight or tousled look, but they stay out of that “too dolled up” territory. Keep ’em soft and simple, and please–go easy on the hairspray. No guy wants to hear a distinct crunch when they go in for a hug! If you’re looking for a simple, easy tutorial, The Beauty Department has a great one. I plan on trying it myself for the blog once my hair grows a few inches (sigh!).

beautyromantic

Soft, Pretty Makeup: When in doubt, go natural. A guy is out on a date with you to see you, not you and your entire Sephora collection. Choose a glow-y foundation (I love Make Up Forever’s Invisible Cover Foundation), a touch of blush and a good dose of mascara and you’re set. If you’re a perfume girl, spritz it on, don’t soak in it. And because I’ve never met a guy who looks good with a red lip (unless it’s from a 7-Eleven slushy), don’t rock a serious shade if you plan on a little kissing (which uh, you should). Go natural with a light cream lipstick or tint–something like Revlon’s Just Bitten Stain in Sweetheart is perfect!

What are your date beauty do’s and don’ts? Do share!

Comments

1. says

Retro waves are my favorite trend as of late! For dates, I used to be all about the bold lip. Now I just go for glowing skin, a blushy lipstick, and a sexy cat eye. Meeee-ow.

xx
    M

2. says

I’ve always wanted to learn how to do retro waves! When I was searching for wedding hairstyles it was always one that looked so classy and chic! Now I just need to figure it out so I can rock it for Valentines!

xo jen

3. withluckblog says

Oh I love the soft pretty waves! The girl with the short hair is actually my favorite look! I hope you try it out sooner rather than later!

4. says

I agree, some girls completely overdo it with make-up. Make-up should be tasteful and used to highlight your best features, not to completely disguise your face.

That being said, these ladies look wonderful! I mean, how gorgeous is the wavy hair in these photos? So pretty! And I love the make-up, too. The perfect subtle, romantic colors.

5. amylshaughnessy says

The only thing I like to do out of the norm is a heavier smokey eye or maybe bright lipstick but never at the same time. I love natural looking curly hair! Mine can’t seem to stay curled anymore.

Amy

Fashion and Beauty Finds

6. Sofia says

Love these ideas. Great blog!

If you get a sec, check out my latest look ‘Structured Stripes’.

Stay beautiful,

Sofia

Be featured on Stylishly In Love: If you would like a chance to be featured on my fashion blog, then email me (stylishlyinlove@gmail.com) a picture of your go-to outfit for Valentine’s Day. In honor of Valentine’s day I will be featuring 14 bloggers. Make sure to email me by February 11th.

Thank you.

stylishlyinlove.blogspot.com

7. Richelle from Lynn + Lou says

I love those soft cosmetic looks. I’m getting better about lessening my eye color and just let my natural color come through.

8. Lacey Garcia says

I love the soft makeup looks. I sometimes think I over do my makeup and I’ve been working on cutting back. I may or may not have a makeup problem.

9. says

Love the soft, pretty makeup looks! I’m a big fan of glow-y foundations (YSL touche eclat and Le Metier de Beaute peau vierge) and well defined lashes :)

10. says

I love those perfect romantic waves! I’m still struggling to grow out my hair, but when I do – I’m going to have to give it a try {although, it always turns out to not look quite as fabulous, haha}. Thanks for the inspiration!

xx,

Maya

11. says

Pretty waves! Makes me want to grow my hair out a bit. Those Revlon Stains remind me of the Clinique Chubby Sticks I use… I love how it looks like a huge crayon! :)