"impress your date" meatloaf…really.

IMG_0405

“Impress your date” meatloaf seems like it should be an oxymoron, I know. Because no one likes meatloaf, right? Well, if that’s the case, it’s simply because they’ve never had this version. First good thing: you make it into extra-generous meatballs, so right off the bat you throw off those auto-loaf haters. Second good thing: it’s one of those dishes that seems like it took forever to make, so you’ll rake in impressive points with whatever guy (or girl or family member) you put the plate down in front of. Honestly, I can’t rave about this recipe enough, so I’m thinking you should just try it!

Tomato Glazed Meatloaf (Adapted from Smitten Kitchen):

• 1 small can tomato paste
  • 1 tablespoon vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 pounds ground beef
  • onion, celery, carrot and garlic–all chopped
  • 2 tablespoons ketchup
  • 2 slices of white bread

IMG_0410

Combine the tomato paste, vinegar, honey and 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce in a sauce pan and simmer on low until thickened and bubbling. Set aside.

IMG_0428

Pulse the bread in a food processor to create breadcrumbs. Set aside. Add the vegetables and process until minced, about 5 minutes (you may need to do this in batched in order to fit everything!). Brown the veggies in a hot skillet with 1 teaspoon olive oil until soft, about 5-7 minutes.

Add the vegetables to the ground beef and breadcrumbs, mixing with your hands and forming into palm-sized meatballs (be generous!).

IMG_0430

Top the meatloaf(s) with a bit of glaze and place in the oven to cook at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes, or until the outsides are browned and juice around them is bubbling (if you’re unsure, check with a meat thermometer).

IMG_0472

Serve over your favorite variation of mashed potatoes–because everyone has their favorite (mine are garlic with a touch of sour cream). Enjoy–and prepare to impress your next date. He’ll be raving about you to Mom before you know it!

Comments

1. says

I have never really been a meatball fan. It is not something that I grew up with, so I never really understood it. BUT, my husband is a huge fan and I would really love to make it for him sometime :) I will be hanging on to this recipe! (after your chowder, I completely trust your recipes!) XO Brynn

2. Lacey Garcia says

Turning meatloaf into meatballs – yum! I also like that you served it over mashed potatoes. I’m not a meatloaf fan, but it looks delicious.

3. says

OMG! I love the idea of serving it over mashed potatoes! Looks food chic 😉 And my boyfriend just told me he was craving the meatloaf I made a few weeks ago… I will have to give your recipe a try!

4. taylor casto says

gahh always love a good meatloaf recipe! thanks for sharing lady!

xo,Taylor
    iLikeMyClothesTaylored.blogspot.com

5. says

This looks so yummy! I actually really love meatloaf and you just can’t serve it without mashed potatoes. That last photo is really making me want to make this tonight!

6. says

This looks so delish! My husband loves loves meatloaf so maybe I need to make this for him…I am pretty scared of the kitchen which is why I said maybe. haha! xo

7. Holly Wells says

OMG Iooove meatloaf! My boyfriend has never been a fan of meatloaf (sadface) but I want him to! Maybe this recipe will do the trick!

xx
    Holly Foxen Wells
    GlamourMash
    Be Sure to Check out The Sweet & Spark Giveaway
    Happening on GlamourMash Now!

8. Emily says

Ok I have to admit it. Although I have always heard about it and seen and read about meals with meatloaf I’ve never actually eaten it. I’m sure it is simply because my mum never cooked meatloaf when I was growing up. I feel like I should try making it some day but as a mostly vegetarian it might take me a while to find the occasion.

-Emily

9. Sofia says

That looks amazing and especially with mash potatoes.

If you get a sec, check out my latest post ‘Ripple Effect’.

Kisses

Sofia

stylishlyinlove.blogspot.com

10. Meghan Mee says

I have never been a big meatloaf person but this looks too amazing not to try! well done!

XO Meghan
    citrusrefreshingfashion.blogspot.com

11. says

Before I became a vegetarian I loooovvveeedddd meatloaf. I really did. But I haven’t been able to re-create anything worth eating based on fake meat. Maybe I’ll give your recipe a try with some of my morning star or veggie patties lying around :)

12. says

Hahaha ok don’t laugh when you read this, but I’ve never had meatloaf! My mom never made it because my dad hated it lol….so I may have to give this a try!

xo jen

13. says

Oh my god – THANK YOU! You have no idea how much John loves meatloaf, and how much I loathe it, yet he is always begging me to give it a chance (aka he really wants me to cook it for him). This actually sounds good and the meatball look is way more appealing. I can’t wait to show him this and try it — pinning it now for future reference.

Steph

14. says

lol seriously my boyfriend would love this!
    I’ve never made it cause I didn’t know how and was intimidated by it, but now I dont have an excuse not to!